What To Expect
It often happens that when a loved one is hospitalized after a fall, a spell of illness, or a surgery, a decision is thrust upon the family to quickly find a skilled nursing facility to accommodate the rehabilitation process. If you choose Escondido Post Acute Rehab, know that we empathize. It’s our goal to make the transition easy for our new patient, as well as keeping the family apprised of the progress they make while in our care.
- First, take a look at our FAQ and then schedule an appointment to tour the facility. By reviewing the questions before you arrive, you’ll be better able to determine if your loved one will be well suited to our care center. Ask to see the accommodations, our rehabilitation facility, our outdoor meeting area, and activities room. We even have a hair salon and spa showers. We accommodate individual tastes on our dining plan, and make every effort to ensure that the room meets with the new patients’ expectations.
- Second, once you have selected Escondido Post Acute Rehab, transportation from the acute care facility to Escondido Post Acute Rehab will be arranged. The new patient will be checked in and thoroughly evaluated by our registered nurses, and an initial plan of care is put into action.
- After the first night’s stay, our Social Services Director checks in with the patient to see if any thing can be done to make them more comfortable, and assures their transition to Escondido Post Acute Rehab has been smooth. The Social Services Director is the liaison between the patient and the staff, and acts as the patient advocate. She will be an ongoing means of support throughout the patient's stay, and beyond.
- Within 14 days, a Care Plan meeting is scheduled, which details every aspect of the patient's care, from nutrition and rehabilitation, to wound care and favorite activities. This is an “all-hands-on-deck” meeting, which includes the family, the patient, and key staff decision makers, so everyone is on the same page from the start.
- Throughout the patient’s stay, family members will be updated on their progress. Patients are encouraged to participate in onsite activities, which can also include outings and church services, when they feel able. Our hair salon and card room is usually bustling with activity, as we want our patients looking and feeling as much like “themselves” as possible. We have a TV viewing room and internet access, as well as an extensive library and numerous daily activities which are clearly posted. Meals are customized to suit the individual tastes and dietary needs of the patient, with likes and dislikes addressed in the Care Plan meeting.
- Once the patient’s rehabilitation is complete, the discharge plan will be initiated. In most cases, the patient returns home. Others receive weekly in-home visits from a physical therapist for ongoing treatment. Others may need more long-term care in an assisted living facility. Because we understand that change can be difficult at any age, we stay in touch with the patient after they leave our facility. We want them to know that their Escondido Post Acute Rehab care didn’t simply “end” because they left our center. We want them eased in to this next phase of their lives, thriving in their environment and feeling safe and secure during this time of transition.